We’re looking for volunteers to test some new Lynda functionality that was released in beta on October 23. If you are interested, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you participate, you can explore and test a new interface on Lynda.com where you will be able to build playlists comprised of individual videos, or sections of courses.
Specifically, you will be able to:
- Add courses or individual videos to a playlist
- Drag and drop courses, videos, chapters, and more into a playlist
- Enable or disable videos or chapters within a course in a playlist
- Watch a playlist from start to finish on a single page
In the beta environment, you can switch back to the current playlist functionality by clicking Use classic layout at the upper right of your playlist page.
Just in case you forgot…
What is Lynda? Lynda is an online video library that MICA subscribes to where you can access thousands of instructional video tutorials.
How do I access Lynda? Go to your MICA portal at http://www.mica.edu and log in. On the left menu, click on Academic Resources where you will find a link to Lynda!
Don’t forget if you work at MICA, you have access to Lynda.com for video tutorials on software that you use regularly in your teaching!
Moodle 2.6 Essential Training
If you are considering using a blog for your course, WordPress is also a good tool for that.
WordPress Essential Training
Remember when requiring students to post to a public site (if you choose to use a public blog) you may want to consider the FERPA implications:
Guidelines for Public, Student Class Blogs: Ethics, Legalities, FERPA and More (Thanks to HASTAC.org for the information!)
Below are the steps to export a discussion forum out of Moodle.
- First log into Moodle, click on the course you would like to export discussions from.
- Turn editing on.
- Locate the discussion you wish to export
- Scroll down on the left to “Forum Administration”
- Click Export.
- Choose CSV, Check Export Attachment if necessary.
- Choose All Discussions and All Participants if necessary.
- Click Export.
- This will download a zipped csv file that you can Extract and open on your computer using Excel.
- If you want to expand the column with Messages for easier viewing, you can select the Messages column, drag it to the desired width, then choose from the Format menu “Cells” and in the Alignment tab select “Wrap Text”.
- This will show the message text in a larger box.
- Save the file to your computer.
If you are unable to attend Moodle training this semester, here are a few good and brief videos to get you started using Moodle for your classroom needs at MICA.
Video Help (very brief introductory videos for commonly used Moodle tools)
Navigating in a Course
Adding Resources in Moodle
Adding Files Using Drag and Drop
Moving Activities and Resources
Interacting in Moodle
Setting up and Interacting in a Discussion in Moodle
http://youtu.be/onIGv5sd59M Part I
http://youtu.be/STpOg4YE5B0 Part II
http://youtu.be/s_1aaOh_Rt4 Part III
Adding an Assignment in Moodle
Grading an Assignment
Creating a Quiz Activity in Moodle 2
Additional Videos and Help Pages can be found here:
Moodlerooms Knowledge Base
Going to be taking a look at this soon….Stay tuned!
The service is free for schools as part of the Google Apps for Education suite. (Which is what we have at MICA).